Singapore, 23 July 2023 – Lazada, a pioneer eCommerce platform in Southeast Asia, held the finale of its inaugural multi-country running event, Lazada Run, concluding the first-ever race organized by an eCommerce platform in the region.
The event which took place in Singapore, flagged off at Marina Barrage with over 7,000 runners competing in various categories, including a 21km race, a 10km race, a 5km race and a 650m Kid’s Dash. Guest-of-Honor Ms Low Yen Ling, Minister of State, Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth & Ministry of Trade and Industry, Chairperson of Mayors’ Committee & Mayor, South West District, also graced the event and flagged off the 10km race at 6:45am.
Joining the final leg of this multi-country race were winners of the 21km and 10km runs which took place across Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam. They were automatically entered into the Ultimate Southeast Asia Challenge, competing against runners from Singapore to win cash prizes of USD3,500 for the 21km race and USD2,000 for the 10km race.
The winners are as follows:
- Nattawut Innum and Odekta Elvina Naibaho from Thailand and Indonesia emerged victorious with a time of 01:11:06 and 01:20:35 respectively for the 21km race.
- James Darrel Orduña and Novia Nur Nirwani from the Philippines and Indonesia clinched the fastest timing at 00:31:59 and 00:37:30 respectively for the 10km race.
Additional cash prizes of S$3,500 for the 21km race and S$2,000 for the 10km race were also awarded to the top three finishers of the Lazada Run Singapore. The winners were as follows:
- Mathew Samperu, Geoffrey Birgen, and Jon Lim finished as Singapore’s top 3 male runners, 21km race category.
- Lucy Ndambuki, Zina Shwork Yenew Ambi, and Rosemary Mumo Katua finished as Singapore’s top 3 female runners, 21km race category.
- James Gikunga Karanja, Elkanah Arusey, and Lel Kipchirchir finished as Singapore’s top 3 male runners, 10km race category.
- Alyce Jeptoo Koech, Kigen Peninah Jepkoech, and Vanessa Lee finished as Singapore’s top 3 female runners, 10km race category.
As part of Lazada’s commitment to ‘Add Fitness to Life’ for consumers in the region, the race route was infused with fun and interactive activities for runners:
- ‘Human running vouchers’ that runners could spot and chase at certain segments of the race route to capture attractive Lazada vouchers
- 18 distance markers with QR codes placed along the race routes for runners to scan and collect Lazada vouchers from various sellers and brand partners
Runners were also treated to Singapore’s breathtaking sights with routes passing by iconic landmarks such as Marina Bay Sands, Gardens by the Bay, the National Stadium and the beautiful beaches of the East Coast Park.
Beyond the thousands of runners participating in the run, there was also a large crowd of spectators lining the route to cheer on their loved ones and enjoy the morning of sporting activity. Lazada Run Singapore also saw participants from Runninghour joining different race categories. Runninghour is a sports co-operative that promotes inclusivity and integration of persons with special needs through sports.
Visitors to Lazada Run Singapore were also able to explore the Lazada Run Race Village at the top of Marina Barrage, with stalls from brands including Bioderma, Epitex, F&N, Ji Xiang Ang Ku Kueh, and Walch offering a selection of products and vouchers. The Cart Dash booth saw participants competing to tick off a shopping list by grabbing items to win merchandise and cashback vouchers from Lazada. In another corner, a lively mass Zumba workout had people of all ages jiving to the fast-paced dance cardio workout. Visitors who came down to Marina Barrage also checked out the RedMart and LazBeauty booth showcases and received samples of products.
Lazada Singapore CEO Loh Wee Lee, was also present at the Lazada Run with his family. He commented, “We are thrilled to see so many people here today enjoying the finale of Lazada Run right here in our home market, Singapore. We look forward to more opportunities for Lazada to connect with shoppers and the wider running community, adding fitness to life in a fun and interactive way!”
Marcus Chew, Chief Marketing Officer, Lazada Group, said: “The inaugural Lazada Run was a massive success, and I am humbled to have been a part of it. Running alongside others and receiving words of encouragement was a wonderful experience. 21KM is a long distance to run, and it was heart-warming to have so many runners start and finish it together. I would like to thank everyone who took part in the Lazada Run today and made it an unforgettable experience. This is just the beginning, more to come!