- The virtual race returns for its third consecutive year having attracted over 25,000 teams comprised of 96,000 participants in 2020 and 2021 combined.
- Teams of up to six can register to take on the relay and experience the positive impact of sport on the mind.
- Registration now open at ASICS World Ekiden 2022 (raceroster.com)
ASICS is inviting teams of up to six runners to sign up to compete in the ASICS World Ekiden 2022, as the race returns for its third successive year.
Taking its inspiration from Japanese running culture, the ASICS World Ekiden challenges teams to complete a marathon distance over the course of six legs of varying distances from 5 – 10km. Teams must pass their digital tasuki – the narrow band of fabric used traditionally in Ekidens – from one leg to the next, working together in the true spirit of Ekiden for the team to succeed. Free for everyone and open to all, the ASICS World Ekiden welcomes participants of all levels and abilities, making it accessible to anyone from anywhere around the world to experience and embrace the competition. The race returns for 2023 following a hugely successful opening two years for the event which has so far brought together a combined 96,000 runners from around the world. Between them, they’ve covered over 475,000 kilometres – equivalent to almost twelve laps of the earth’s circumference!
What’s more, the participation of legendary former and current athletes has become a staple of the ASICS World Ekiden. Renowned athletes including Yuki Kawauchi, Emma Bates, Beth Potter and Koen Naert have all featured as part of teams taking on the challenge of Ekiden in previous years. With more ASICS athletes than ever signed up to take part this year, there’s no better opportunity to compete with and alongside some of the best runners in the world.
Exclusive to Singapore, participants can also stand to win attractive prizes, including exclusive products from the ASICS Ekiden series (worth a total of up to $1,500*). During the race period, simply complete the race, screenshot your team results and tag @ASICSSG on Instagram to win. Based on fastest speed and via lucky draws, two winning teams will be selected respectively and announced on @ASICSSG after 22 November.
The race uses the ASICS Runkeeper™ app to help participants form their team, stay connected through training inspiration, and track their race progress via a live online leaderboard to see how they rank among fellow participants across a range of categories. Runners can also share their Ekiden journeys and be a part of the conversation using the #ASICSWorldEkiden.
Yasuhito Hirota, ASICS CEO said: “We simply can’t wait for the ASICS World Ekiden to begin again. The race window has become a highlight of the year for us here at ASICS, as we know it has for thousands of people all over the globe. It’s been our privilege to share this staple of Japanese running culture with the rest of the world, and to see runners take on the Ekiden’s values of teamwork and commitment is truly inspiring. We hope everyone enjoys participating in 2022 as the Ekiden further contributes to ASICS’ founding mission of helping people to achieve a sound mind in a sound body. Good luck to all teams, and see you on our leaderboard.”
How to sign up
- REGISTER FOR FREE
- Captain an Ekiden team of up to six runners. Each teammate will run between 5K and 10K, together completing a combined marathon distance.
- TRAIN & TRACK
- Working together is the key to the Ekiden relay. The ASICS Runkeeper™ app will help you collaborate with your team on challenges and training plans.
- RUN THE RACE
- Log your leg of the race in the ASICS Runkeeper™ app between 10-22 November. Work hard and run fast as you pass the virtual tasuki from one teammate to the next.
- CELEBRATE & SHARE
- Share your team’s results with friends and family on social using #ASICSWorldEkiden.
To find out more about the ASICS World Ekiden 2022, including training tips and all race information, visit https://asics.tv/3rOTlvW or join us at #ASICSWorldEkiden.