Named for HOKA Athlete Karl “Speedgoat” Meltzer, the Speedgoat is designed to tackle the toughest terrain. Now in its 4th iteration, the Speedgoat 4 continues to impress with improvements from its predecessors.
Some background on my experience with the Speedgoat 3; I have two pairs clocking mileages over 600km and more than 300km respectively. I never had any issues with the Speedgoat considering that I have slightly wider feet and often pair it with thicker socks such as the Injinjis. Speedgoat is known to be narrower as compared to its counterpart models.
In my personal opinion, a good pair of trail running shoes should encompass a good grip while providing sufficient protection for the feet. Having to run through various terrains in trail running including unpaved rocky, muddy or slippery grounds during rainy days. I spend most of my time training between Macritchie Reservoir and Bukit Timah Nature Reserve and there is a wide variation of trails in just 10 – 20 kilometres.
Design & Comfort
With the Speedgoat 4, it continues to boast the strength of the previous iterations with the perfect amount of cushioning, amazing traction (Vibram Megagrip) and a newly improved breathable mesh upper.
Hoka has moulded the Speedgoat 4 for an improved toebox for a wider and more comfortable fit. The midsole also now contains a lighter weight foam for a more responsive ride and packs the same amount of cushioning as the previous iteration. I used to avoid running through rocky surfaces with lower drop shoes. Now, I can run right through knowing the cushion and reinforced toe bumper is sufficient to protect my feet.
Good news for runners with wider feet or prefers roomier toe boxes, the Speedgoat 4 is now available in various widths including a 2E (Wide) version!
For grip, the Speedgoat 4 continues to have a Vibram MegaGrip outsole developed specifically for wet and slippery surfaces. A shoe with good grip also gives you much confidence in descending! The Speedgoat 4 also sports an updated mesh upper, improved gusseted tongue featuring strategic cutouts which all in all provides more breathability.
All in all, the Speedgoat 4 welcome distinct improvements in the toebox and upper layer. I have personally worn the Speedgoat for days in the mountains without many setbacks. The only drawback for this shoe is that runners who prefer to have more ‘feel’ for the trails might not get comfortable with the Speedgoat due to it’s much cushioning.
Some features of the Speedgoat 4 include:
- Updated mesh upper provides breathability
- 3D printed overlays provide additional midfoot support and lockdown for a more secure feel
- Gusseted tongue features strategic cutouts for breathability
- Lacing eye-rows contain a small winged component to ensure a secure fit
- Midsole features a new lightweight foam for a more responsive ride
- Wider forefoot offers a more stable ride and accommodating fit
- Vibram® Megagrip rubber outsole provides grip in wet and dry conditions
- 5mm “stepped” lugs offer additional support and stability
- Zonal rubber placement adds support and stability
About the author:
Bryan’s interest in trail running started as a means to improve his fitness when he was into competitive Dragonboat racing. He then moved on and finished more than 20 Ultra trail races locally and internationally, some of which emerged in top placings. The world of endurance running has opened plenty of possibilities for him as he frequently travels to compete in races. Recently, he travelled to Italy to participate in one of the world’s toughest races, the Tor des Géants, being the only Singaporean to complete this year. Bryan believes that ultra running not only helps to push himself out of his comfort zone but also to see the world from various perspectives.
* Disclaimer: This review represents the genuine, unbiased views of the author. The author was provided with a trial unit. Hoka One One’s products have been and might currently be advertised on JustRunLah! via different channels, however, these relationships do not influence the editorial content of reviews.