I can fully understand how awful not being able to sleep is when you know you need it to function properly the next day. The worst is when you have an important meeting or interview early the next morning and you can’t afford to be out of it.
Fret not! Because here are some home remedies you can utilise to get yourself those precious hours of snooze time to get yourself bright and ready for the new day.
1. Using scents to get to sleep
- Smelling a scent like lavender can help to relax you and bring the sands of sleep to your eyes in record time.
- You can also consider putting a drop of jasmine oil on each wrist before you head to bed.
- If you are someone who loves a good soak before bedtime, you can try adding 5 drops of lavender oil and 3 drops of ylang-ylang to a warm water bath to soothe and relax your body and mind.
2. Don’t eat the wrong food before bed
- If you are feeling peckish, try having a glass of warm milk with a cookie or perhaps a banana to get tryptophan into our system for an easier slip into sleep.
- Don’t consume spicy or sugary food before bedtime because spicy foods can irritate your stomach and cause you to toss and turn. Sugary foods will, well, make you too hyper to go to bed.
- Just avoid eating right before you head to bed. Your body needs at least three to four hours to digest the food and doing so before sleep can not only cause nightmares, but you will also feel really uncomfortable and can’t get to sleep.
3. Keep to a sleep schedule
- Make sure you go to bed at the same time every night. This will ensure your body gets used to when it needs to get to rest and does just that.
- Try not to take naps during the day as it disrupts your body’s natural clock, causing you to not be able to sleep when the night comes.