When I ran my first race in Dec 2014 at SCMS, I did not imagine myself taking part in any distance race beyond 10km. Running a half marathon was last thing on my mind even just six months ago. The decision came about 3 months ago when I signed up for ST Run. I thought to mysef; if I could run 18.45km, then 21km would be doable.  How I got to the HM from 2014 would be left for another blog post.

The night before the race, I went to bed at 9.30pm, hoping to get up at 3am to get to the start point early. I made it to the floating platform at about 4am; with a slightly sleepy head.  The caffeine did not quite wake me up totally.  Did some warm-up, felt less sleepy and I was ready to go.  When the horn blared exactly at 5am, the elite runners were off and I was just about 10 metres behind the starting arch.  Seeing the pacer balloons cheered me somewhat.  I made a mental note to follow the 2:30 pacers.  After all, it’s my first HM, I should play it safe.


The familiar Marina Bay loomed into view at around the 2km mark.  Suddenly, I felt an urge to visit the loo but held it off till I reached the Gardens.  Made a quickie and resumed my pace; thankfully it did not break my pace.  Kept to my pace through the darkness of the early morning and a gentle breeze caressing my face.  To my pleasant surprise, I soon passed the 2:20 pacers.  I felt good and enjoyed the route until I reached the 8km mark when we hit the dirt road.  It broke my pace and I had to make a concerted effort to maintain my pace till I reached Tanjong Rhu.  The beautitful reflection of the new stadium over the waters welcomed the runners as they entered into the second half of the race.  A few has slowed to a jog or even resigned to walking but I pressed on, stopping briefly to refuel at the hydration points with the isotonic drinks.  Oh yeah, I brought my energy gel as well.  In fact, the mango/passion fruit gel tasted surprisingly yummy.  While I enjoyed the gel, I also noticed the skies ushering in the first light.


As I left the stadium area and headed towards the Merdeka Bridge, I knew that I was entering the final phase of the race.  And I felt my body starting to protest, especially my legs.  Refueled again at the 16km mark; this time it was banana/berry flavoured gel.  With the new energy boost, I psyched myself up for the last 5km as the route took me into the heart of the city and doubled back to the floating platform again.

Picking up my pace, I heard the chatter and talk of the 2:20 pacers fading away behind me.  The thought of me finishing my first half marathon within my target time brought a smile of my face.  Nevertheless, I still needed to stay focus and ignored the slight fatigue that started to spread from my legs to the rest of the body.  When I finally saw the viewing gallery of the Float, I knew I was on the home stretch.  Opened up and tried to look strong, in case I was caught by one of the photographers.

I eventually crossed the line at 2:16:09.  Perhaps I could have done better than 2:15 if not for the toilet break and stops at the hydration points. But then again, I might not have achieved this timing if I were not properly hydrated or refuelled.  Guess I would never know.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Disclaimer: JustRunLah! members can maintain personal blogs and post articles such as the present. All messages, articles, and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in these posts or transmitted via JustRunLah! channels are the responsibility of the respective authors and not of JustRunLah!, unless JustRunLah! is specifically identified as the author of the message. The fact that a particular message or article is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that JustRunLah! has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of it. For enquiries please click here to contact us.